Members- click here for direct links to information below.
Sports Information Links
- Building “Generation Play”: Addressing the Crisis of Inactivity Among America’s Children
Childhood obesity is a serious national health problem. It is estimated that almost one in five children 2-19 years old in the United States were overweight in 2003-2004, as defined by gender- and age-specific body mass index (BMI) percentiles. Childhood obesity carries significant health risks not only for children but also for the adults they grow into. Childhood obesity is associated with an increased incidence of cardiovascular risk factors such as hypertension and type 2 diabetes. Obese children are also more likely to suffer from depression, low self-esteem and discrimination. If an overweight child becomes an overweight adult he or she will also have increased risks for cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, arthritis, and cerrtain types of cancer.
Coach Certification/Information MRPA is attempting to provide a broad spectrum of coaching certification sites – we do not endorse one program over another – that would be strictly up to the individual communities.
American Sport Education Programs
“ASEP is committed to improving amateur sport by encouraging coaches, officials, administrators, parents, and athletes to embrace the ‘athletes first, winning second’ philosophy and by providing the education to put the philosophy to work.”
–Rainer Martens, PhD, ASEP founder
We provide affordable coaching education, training and certification to city parks and recreation, leagues, YMCA’s and Boys and Girls clubs, club programs, resorts and individuals. We are one of only four organizations in the country that offer coaching certification. We believe that better, or best even, doesn’t have to mean the most expensive. You’ll be amazed. Better coaches. Better athletes. Better programs!
Complete Soccer Coach- Better Than The Rest!
If your tired of “free” sites, where the quality of the videos and the coaching is questionable, then we have the solution. We provide practice plans in video that you can understand and use right away. We use real players and real coaches – not animation, cartoons, or wanna-be coaches who write long confusing drills.
Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association
The Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association is an organization of 368 high schools,
who sponsor athletic activities in 33 sports. More than 200,000 young men and women compete
annually in approximately 100,000 competitions among MIAA member schools.
National Alliance for Youth Sports
The National Alliance for Youth Sports (NAYS) is America’s leading advocate for positive and safe sports and activities for children. The non-profit 501(c)(3) organization is based in West Palm Beach, Florida. Today, NAYS offers programs and services for everyone involved in youth sports experiences, including professional administrators, volunteer administrators, volunteer coaches, officials, parents and young athletes.
- National Collegiate Athletic Association
Positive Coaching Alliance
Positive Coaching Alliance (PCA) is transforming youth sports so sports can transform youth. Through partnership with more than 1,100 youth sports organizations, leagues, schools and cities nationwide, PCA has conducted 6,000-plus workshops for youth sports coaches, parents, organizational leaders and athletes
James C. Kozlowski, J.D., Ph.D- Legal/Legislative Counsel to NRPA.
- In determining federal copyright liability for the public performance of unlicensed music by public parks and recreation agencies, under the Copyright Act of 1976, the most critical issue is whether or not performing groups or promoters are paid for their services.
- Dr. Kozlowski has witten monthly articles that have appeared in Parks & Recreation magazine Parks & Recreation is the official publication of the National Recreation and Park Association
- News, information and products geared toward the camping business
- For over twenty years, The Trades Publishing Company has been publishing highly targeted trade industry product buying guides for the Landscape Architect professional, the Golf Course Industry, and the Timeshare Resort industry.
- For over twenty years, The Trades Publishing Company has been publishing highly targeted trade industry product buying guides for the Landscape Architect professional, the Golf Course industry, and the Timeshare Resort Industry.
- News, information and products geared toward the park and recreation business
- This site was created for the purpose of helping individuals and nonprofits worldwide by providing the critical information needed to help you succeed.
- Online Guide to Business Resources for Nonprofits
- Official information and services from the U.S. government Grants and Loans; Management and Operations; and Tax Information
Massachusetts Interlocal Insurance Agency (MIIA)
- Skate Parks- In order to help our members to minimize the risks associated with operating municipal skateboarding facilities MIIA has prepared an updated version of guidelines. These guidelines reflect Massachusetts law and current industry practices that all municipal entities with similar parks should review. The guidelines include design considerations, operational considerations including inspections, maintenance and supervision, recommendations to minimize risk including suggested rules and waivers, accident reporting, municipal defenses and protections as well as a sample waiver. Please contact your Loss Control Representative for a copy of these guidelines.
- Massachusetts Amateur Sports Foundation
- Massachusetts Bike Coalition
- Massachusetts Municipal Association
- MassRIDES – Safe Routes to Schools
- Massachusetts Office of Travel and Tourism
- New England Regional Turfgrass Foundation
- Northeast Organic Farming Association
- Park Practices
- The Trust for Public Lands
- UMASS – Extension Program – Information for Turf Managers & Golf Course Superintendents - The Green Directory
- UMASS Extension Program – Pesticide Education Programs
- United States Tennis Association - New England Branch
- U. S. Department of Labor
Research Into Action: Develop a Media Literacy Program- Taken from Parks & Recreation – June 2008
- Action Coalition for Media Education
- Center for Media Literacy
- Center for Media Studies
- Just Thinking Foundation
- Kaiser Family Foundation
- New Mexico Media Literacy Project
- Edward Zigler Center in Child Development and Social Policy
Risk Management Web Sites
MIIA is an interlocal service of the (MMA). The MMA is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that provides advocacy, training, publications, research and other services to Massachusetts cities and towns.
- PERI is a nonprofit research institute that develops risk management education and training resources for local governments, school districts, small businesses, nonprofits and others. PERI has developed an extensive resource library with publications, tools, and resources on a wide range of risk management and emergency management topics.